Thursday, 12 May 2011
This is where I left this painting yesterday. I'd added more layers of acrylic. in the process I managed to hide areas I actually thought worked well. However the whole piece lacked detail, so today I began to work into the surface with oil bars. This is oil paint in stick form - it's relatively easy to apply, but as I had only a few colours, I found it didn't give the desired effect and was rather too soft. Instead I began to blend oil pastel (much harder and more waxy) with the oil bar medium and use them on their own; this has allowed me to add the detail. I think I'm going to leave this for a while. I need time to look at it from a distance and consider what if anything I need to do to it.