After making the coffee date dress the other day I had enough fabric left over to make my daughter a dress. she wanted a halter neck dress with a cross over front and ruffles - not picky at all!
The skirt was made using a simple tube of fabric. The front was about 1 1/2 times the width of the bodice. I used a double later of gathering stitches and eased them into a central front position before sewing to the bodice. The back was cut higher than the front. the extra folded over to make a casing for elastic at the back. I used three pieces of elastic, and stitched them into three sections on the casing.
Once in place I ajusted them to fit and stiched firmly. (You could make a shirred back as an alternative to using a casing).
Bethan loves her new dress.
Sorry for the rather garbled instructions. I'll try to but illustrations and a better step by step guide on sometime this week.