Tuesday 27 September 2011

Skirt Refashion


I've been meaning to do this refashion for ages. I thought it would be quite quick, but it took ages. Not sure about how I feel about the end result either. The applique and embroidery needs blocking and I broke a needle sewing the hem - grrrr.

Anyway, less of a rant and here's how I did it.

1. Cut the skirt to above knee length, using the shaped panels as a guide.


2. I cut leaf/ petal shapes and circles from some of my stashed fabric - all previously garments - I played around with the placement until I was happy with it then used a little iron on hemming tape to secure the pieces in place.


3. I used my machine to do straight and satin stitch embroidery (I tried doing a little more ambitions decoration, but the tension on my machine, puckered the fabric too much - so I unpicked it).


4. Hemmed the skirt - some of the seams were rather thick and although I took out as much fullness as I could I still had sticking sports on the panels and broke a needle.




Finished skirt needs a good press with the iron, I think it will be worn with leggings/ tights and boots for the winter. It's a touch too short for me to use with bare legs in warmer weather.
So What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I love your adorable Fall skirt. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great refashion using applique, has a definite 'Bodenesque' feel about it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that skirt. Definitely a Boden feel.

    I was a bit confused at first-thought you had dyed the fabric since, at first it showed as some sort blue-grayish, then a bright yellowish-tan. It was the lighting, right< or did you dye it?

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda - no dye, just the lighting. must improve my photography skills.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...