Tuesday 14 June 2022

Vogue 1524 Review

 

Hello, Hello everyone. I’m so pleased to be able to share this make with you all! This is a high-neck, open-backed jumpsuit from vogue patterns. I’ve had my eye on this one for a while. And when I got a wedding invite, I knew it would be the perfect opportunity to make this. I made it entirely out of cotton sateen with a slight stretch.


First up, the pattern - it’s V1524 and it is a great intermediate pattern. You really need to know how to construct a garment and deal with seams and raw edges as this pattern does not hold your hand. The instructions are adequate but brief. I first came unstuck with the welt pockets - I managed to sew the welts the wrong way and had to unpick them after I’d slashed open the pocket.

 

Hence they are not quite as neat as I would like - I’m used to using a different method and I didn’t find this one particularly satisfactory, It was quite fiddly. However, this was the only part of the construction that I didn’t really like. The bodice construction is quite unique but does result in a very neat finish, with all seams enclosed. 


I cut a straight size 12 after comparing my measurements to the size chart. I added extra length to the trouser hem as I want to wear these with high heels and needed to ensure they were long enough. I’m glad I did as the extra 5 cm is perfect.


I added about 2cm to the bodice length at the bottom to allow me to fit my long torso. And that was about right. I also added some length to the back band as on my first draft it was just a little bit snug.


The fabric was a cotton sateen with slight stretch from Minerva. This pattern calls for a knit fabric for the bodice and a stable woven for the trousers so it was a bit of a risk cutting the whole thing from the same fabric. The bodice is self-lined and the pocket linings are some cotton lawn I had in my stash (these are something I’d change- I’m not happy about the finish on them).


The fabric was easy to sew and pressed well and had enough stretch to accommodate the bodice pattern, but I do feel a knit fabric would be more comfortable here. The stretch allows the trousers to be comfortable, but I think I really need a tiny bit more room at the hip.


I love that this fabric has a slight sheen that gives an elegant touch to the garment. It is a stunning design and very eyecatching. I really would like to have another go at this in a crepe/ knit combo.


I also inserted bra cups and attached them to the bodice lining, as there is no way you could wear a bra with this. I am having second thoughts about this as a wedding outfit, simply from a practical point of view. This might be quite tricky to get in and out of to go to the loo. Mostly due to the separating zipper at the top part of the bodice. I can just about manage it, but it’s not easy and I’m not sure it will be easy when I’ve had a glass of wine or two and using outside loos!

The pattern calls for a parachute-style buckle for the back band, instead, I opted for a 25mm silver Bikini clasp, which I think is a much better option. The trousers close with a centre-back invisible zipper. I think this is the first time I’ve used a back zip on trousers. So while this is a stunning garment and very elegant If you need an accessible pattern, this probably is not one for you. I need help doing this one up, so for anyone with mobility issues, this is not user-friendly with 3 different back fastenings. 


The jury is still out as to whether I will wear this for the wedding or make something else. I suppose it will depend on how long it takes to make my husband's suit. That will be a project worth sharing - I hope

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this jumpsuit is a head turner. It looks amazing even if it might be tricky for a quick escape while nature calls, and after a glass of wine. Lol, I didn't even think of that scenerio until I read it. If you don't get to wear it to the wedding, I hope you get to wear it on another occasion.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...