Saturday 13 October 2018

My Wedding Dress...


...25 years on.

I always planned to wear my wedding dress for our 25th anniversary. But I knew I couldn't wear it in it's original form, so it was time for a refashion. The original dress was made by Laura Ashley and is a printed cotton. I really loved it and it seemed a shame for it to be hidden away in a box going yellow.


The plan was to shorten the skirt and change up the sleeve to something more contemporary. I have always been able to fit into my dress and this seemed like an easy refashion. However, after soaking and washing my dress at quite a high temperature to get rid of the yellowing stains, it had shrunk a bit and although I could still get it on. It would not have been comfortable to wear.

So a bigger refashion was needed. I have always loved fitted bodices and full skirts of the 1950's and wanted to keep the scooped neckline of the original dress. I also loved the back of the Gertie Sultry sheath dress. So after carefully taking the skirt apart, I used the B6453 princess seamed bodice and extended the bodice to include the shoulders and have the same scoop neckline. I overlaid the sultry sheath bodice back and found it matched almost exactly with the B6453.
I self lined the bodice and then added a knee length box pleated skirt to finish off the dress. The zip is a lapped zipper.


On our anniversary I styled my dress with a black net underskirt, black and white spotty kitten heel shoes and a beaded balck and white collar necklace. The evening was warm do I didn't need a coat, just a purple shawl to complement what my hubby was wearing.


We enjoyed a beautiful meal at the House of Tides in Newcastle.




I love my refashioned dress, but i'm not sure I have much call for a white dress, so I'm considering dying it. Some experiments are needed to see how the dye reacts to the printed cotton.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your anniversary! You look beautiful in both versions of your dress xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! You did an excellent remake on your wedding dress. Turned out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! Your dress is gorgeous! #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! I love both versions of your dress! Excellent remake! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary. What a beautiful dress and I love how you remodelled it too. It’s very stylish. #POCOLO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! It's so great that you're able to reuse your wedding dress - I've considered having mine altered too. :)
    Thanks for sharing with #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on 25 years, both versions of your dress are fab. Thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...