Sunday 31 May 2015

Eat your heart out Mary Berry...

... or my mother in law's floral jacket.


Earlier this year my mother in law decided that she would like a floral blazer, a bit like the one worn by Mary Berry on the GBBO. The ones available in the shops were not quite the style she was after and she had a particular colour scheme in mind.


I took her measurements and went searching for a pattern, settling on #135 05/2014 from Burdastyle, which looks like this in the magazine.



We then went searching for the perfect fabric, we found quite a few quilting weight cottons, but nothing substantial enought to make a jacket from. Eventually we found some perfect fabric at a local funrnishing fabric store.


The jacket was an easy make and went together well. I only made slight pattern alterations, adding a little extra width at the waist and reducing the CB by about 2 cm. The sleeves were also shortened slightly. Instead of a press stud fastening we opted for a self covered button and made an in seam buttonhole.

This is my first successful attempt at bagging the lining and it worked perfectly. I did catch stitch the shell and lining together in a number of places to ensure the layers didn't shift when wearing.

5 comments:

  1. That's really lovely, I'm sure your Mother in law loves it more than it looks in the photos! - I'm just guessing she is a little camera shy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely jacket, I would like one like this :)

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Beautiful.

    Hey(。・∀・)ノ゙I'm new here~~Play Archeage?Follow 2archeage

    Cheap Archeage Gold ------ Archeage Gold

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky, lucky mother in law to have you sewing for her. Her jacket looks great.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...