Friday 7 April 2023

Dancing lights

 

I made this just before Christmas for Minerva Brand Ambassadors. The fabric is the new Minerva range Dancing Lights Loop back french terry. I love this print and that It’s bright and colourful without it being too in your face!
What with the cost of living crisis here in the UK and the freezing temperatures we've been having, I knew that this would have to be a long sleeve top to keep me warm over the winter months. I needed something to layer up and provide a good layer over the winter.


I love a good roll-neck top and have had the Monroe Turtleneck pattern from Tessuti in my stash for a while. I’ve never sewn this up before and wasn’t sure what it would turn out like. But safe to say since finishing it a week ago It has been worn and washed multiple times.


This fabric is perfect for a top like this. I didn’t find it quite as stretchy as I thought it would be but as this top is quite boxy it was not an issue. The fabric is soft and cosy but hasn’t stretched out much when sewing. It washes and wears beautifully and is a dream to sew. I found the edges didn’t curl much, which can be an issue with this type of fabric and it was easy to keep the edges aligned. I constructed this with a narrow zigzag stitch and overlocked seams. I used a stretch needle. The hems were simply turned and zigzagged down.


This is a pretty quick make. The top consists of a front, back, sleeves and collar and due to the boxy design is a very simple sew - suitable for beginners. The top comes in 3 sizes and this is the smallest. The neck is quite tight to pull on over my head - and I have a small head! However, once it’s on it is very comfortable. I also really like the narrow sleeves. These make it easy to layer up and as a skater, I know that I can get my protective gear over the top. I think if I made it again I’d make it a bit longer. It’s OK tucked in my high-waisted jeans, but not so good with lower-cut ones.


I have already styled this with different looks. As in the photos with my recycled denim culottes, with my black skinny Ginger Jeans and underneath my TAL apron dress. It would look fantastic under a pair of dungarees.


I think this might just be a winter/ spring staple. I might even make some more!







 

1 comment:

  1. That looks an ideal weight for this changeable weather. But I agree, a few inches longer would probably be good

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...