Friday 9 August 2019

Plastic Free - 10 ideas from a Newbie.



How are you getting on with living Plastic-Free? Is it something you do? Do you care? Do you have ideas to share? Back at the beginning of July I wrote a little bit about my thoughts on plastic and reducing waste. Several weeks later and I have some observations.

In theory, It's easy to go plastic-free - just don't buy stuff in plastic! In practice, it's much harder. Everything comes in plastic!!!!!!

I have become aware of how much stuff does come in plastic and it is really starting to frustrate me. I want to change everything NOW. Yes, I know that's stupid but it's a thing, and then I get disheartened by it all.

So I'm determined to focus on the small steps that we have made and just keep plugging away at it, bit by bit. Reduce waste, reuse where we can and finally recycle.

So this is where we are up to - maybe, just maybe these might be things that could help you along the way.

1. We don't use straws - we do have a couple of stainless steel ones that the kids use from time to time. When I've been out and about I've also noticed that many places are offering biodegradable or paper straws now.

2. We are using reusable water bottles rather than buying single-use disposables.


3. We are still shopping mostly at the supermarket, but trying to bag unpackaged fruit and veg when possible. I ordered some yarn from Love Crochet a while ago and it came in drawstring fabric bags. Yes, the fabric is most certainly synthetic, but we've been able to use the bags to put our loose fruit and veg in. Just need a few more to be made.

4. I'm actively looking for non-plastic or less plastic packaging - being aware that plastic bottles are much more easily recycled than pouches or film. Still far too much is packaged in plastic. I went into the supermarket today to buy my face cream. I have been using the store's own brand for years and it's good quality. It usually comes in a glass pot with a plastic lid. When finished with I clean and use the pot as storage for paint, ink, pins, paperclips etc. The same cream today was in a plastic tub! (I've bought a replacement from the Ethical Superstore. - This is the same supermarket that still uses plastic bags for loose fruit and veg., pre-wraps spring onions, garlic, ginger, etc in plastic film - when just a few months ago they didn't - what is going on?


5. We've made two raised beds and are starting to grow a bit of food - hopefully, this will take off, even more, when we get the big raised beds in. John also made a composter from some pallets we found at a local garden centre. I think it might be a bit big for our needs.


6. I made some crochet cotton dishcloths. They have been given the thumbs up for washing up.


7. We are booked on a soap making course - this should allow us to have the knowledge and skills to make out own soap and shampoo.

8. We bought bath salts rather than bubble bath - looking to make our own.

9. My hubby bought me a box full of goodies from the Ethical Superstore for my birthday - make-up remover pads, face scrub, washable wipes, bamboo toothbrush, Shampoo bar and a couple of other bits.


10. We've found a very local dairy that delivers milk and cream (in glass bottles) and eggs and when we get back of our holiday will be having milk delivered. There is also a refill store not too far from where I work. I don't think we'll use it loads, but it's great for stocking up on store cupboard items.


I'm not going to chuck out the plastic we do have. We will use the plastic food tubs, reuse bottles until they break and will try to reduce our purchase of plastic, but also the amount we throw away. We already have lots of glass jars and bottles are trying to reuse these too.

We're not there yet, but it's a start.
What are your top ten tips for going plastic-free?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...