Wednesday 15 April 2020

Pattern Haul

Way way back, in the distant time that was before lockdown - Ok I mean February- I scored a whole lot of sewing patterns on Freecycle. I had a lovely chat to the lady I received these from, only to discover despite living up here in Northumberland, she was originally from a town local to where I grew up, some 180 miles away - it's a small world, isn't it?

Anyway - back to the haul. I was gifted a large plastic bag of patterns mostly from the '80s. But as we are seeing a resurgence of 80's music and fashion I'm pretty sure some of these will come back around very soon, if not already in there. I did give some of the easier patterns to a friend of mine who is just learning to sew. there are some magazine patterns too, mostly from Prima. Also included was the pattern sheet/ instructions from a 1984 edition of Burdastyle magazine.

I thought I'd review these here and ask you for your opinions about them. I may give some of these away as some are not in my size/ not my style. Anyway here goes...

First up - stuff I might actually make.

Vintage Simplicity 7687, circa 1968. I love the simple lines on this one, but its a single size and my waist/ hips don't match this size. I'm going to have a look at grading this to fit.


Vintage Maudella 5812  - 1970's, but not sure which year? (Maudella were the forerunners to New look patterns) I love this but I am gutted that there is a skirt piece missing. I'm sure I can draft one to match - again I need to check the size.


Vintage Butterick 5852, this one is 1972. I love the Jumper dress. Personally, I like the long version, but the short version could be cute too, maybe paired with wide trousers rather than flares. This one should fit.


Vintage Simplicity 7498, 1968. I love this wrap skirt and may have a go with some denim I have in my stash - again I'm going to have to grade up I think. I like the version with the buckles.


Next up are the patterns that I could be tempted into making at some point, but I have some concerns about.

McCalls 8926, 1984. There is definitely a Jumpsuit trend still going strong. I quite like this, but think that it could be a bit too wide across the shoulders. It also reminds me of a uniform I had to wear at work in 1989. 


Maudella 5955, again the 1970's. I quite like empire line dresses, but am always concerned that they can make you look pregnant when you're not - could be a good maternity pattern in the right fabric. - not for me though.


New Look 6277, 1980's Simple shirt dress - nothing wrong with this, I've just got patterns I prefer.
Butterick 3353. The 1980s - the same.


Simplicity 5161, 1981 - This is so on trend - think Wilder Gown. It looks quite nice in the light floaty fabric, but again, unless you want to look pregnant... or you are pregnant...


Simplicity 6395, 1980's Looks a lot like the In The folds jumpsuit from Peppermint magazine. Probably won't make this one.

  

Style 4092, again 1980's Simple boxy top - good for beginners I think -might make, or use it as a teaching pattern for my daughter. 
 

Burda 7163, 1980's - again on-trend, not sure it's my trend but my kids might like this one.


Finally, those that I really wonder why someone would ever make a sewing pattern for. There's a couple of maternity patterns in this lot - if you'd Like them, let me know and I can post them out - UK only.

Maternity Patterns - the Maudella one is ok, but the other one...


No shape patterns - although the cold shoulder is ok.


Shapeless and oversized - love it


Ruffles and gathers and a plunging neckline - no thanks


This is actually ok - but rather shapeless - good for someone new to sewing.
 

Quite like a trenchcoat - but this looks very oversized - I don't think I could cope with those shoulders.
 

 Inoffensive, bland.

So do you have a pattern stash? Any suggestions for what to do with some of these? I feel a trip to the charity shop might be in order once lockdown is over. Can't wait to try some of these though.

2 comments:

  1. Which 1884 is it? I've got a bunch from that year. I can check against my stash to see if I've got that issue. It's before they had overview diagram in instructions, so harder to work out if you're interested in anything, but I could send photo of diagrams in your size as most are only in one or 2 sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karey that's really kind of you. I do actually have all the diagrams, just not the magazine - Ive had a good look through it too.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...