Tuesday 29 December 2020

2020: The year of Coats and knickers


I don't know about 'Fur coat and no knickers' - more like 5 coats and lots of knickers (well underwear anyway).

Just the other day I looked back at my plans for this year You can read this here, I actually did quite well with the sewing plans, but then had lots of unplanned makes too. 

I planned to make:

  • Burnside bibs

  • Sew Over it Pussy bow blouse
  • My friends wedding dress
  • Burdastyle trousers

  • The Assembly Line Hoodie Parka

  • A Hobbs style dress

  • A wool coat

  • Upcycle some scraps
  • Mend my pink Seamed dress.

To some degree I did all of these. My upcycling was a bit lacklustre and I ended up getting rid of a bin bag full of scraps as I couldn't store them. I started making the SOI pussy bow blouse, but didn't feel the love and ended up using a different shirt pattern instead. I also mended the dress, but the fabric has faded quite a lot and it needs to be retired - the fabric may well find itself part of a quilt sometime soon.

The wedding dress was finished, but the wedding has been postponed until 2021 - so I won't be sharing any photos any time soon.

The big headlines for this year are coats and underwear. I began the year by making the Hoodie Parka. I opted to line this and adapted the construction to accomodate this. I didn't wear this much during the spring and summer, but it is a perfect transition coat. I've worn it most days since September for work, but it's starting to get a bit cold for it. It's a great beginners pattern for coat making.

Next up was the Goldstream peacoat for my Hubby. This was a massive learning curve as there was quite a bit of tailoring in this. I'm not sure how well it will stand up to extensive wear, but it's certainly been work quite a bit over the last few months.


In April I made a coat for my friend Judy. She asked me to copy the style of a coat she already owned and I traced it and created a new coat for her.

Once my eldest came back from Uni, he decided he wanted a 'Coach' jacket, but not really a coach jacket. So I ended up drafting a block from scratch to fit him. It's fairly basic and I've made the block available free - It's just one size and doesn't have any of the details included, just the basic shape. He loves it and wears it plenty.

Finally, over the last couple of months I made a wool coat, which included a lot more hand tailoring and was seriously worth it!

On the underwear front I became disheartened with the RTW bras that I had. The fit wasn't too good and I'd struggled to get the right size. I came accross the Boob or Bust Facebook page and after remeasuring myself, went for a wholly different size. I haven't yet tried this size in RTW as I can't try on instore yet. But I have made some bras. I'm still new to this and learning lots about fitting and making as I go along. 


The Watson Bra by Cloth habit has become my go to pattern, I have tried a Madalynne Simplicity 8436 underwired pattern with less than perfect results, and I'm still learning a lot about wire size and shape. I have some self drafted boy short style knickers and have adapted the Watson briefs to suite me and I love the fit of the Noelle High waisted panties.

So 2020 Makes  - This year I made 37 items. Most of them have been successful and lots have used up scraps and small pieces from my stash. Next year I hope to use more from the stash and plan to make/do at least some of the following:

  • Activewear - leggings that actually fit at the waist
  • Swimsuit
  • underwire bra
  • more knickers
  • sew up some of my stash
  • make a quilt from leftover fabrics
  • learn how to weave
  • A dress for my daughter
  • make more art and try some new techniques
  • do some crocheting

1 comment:

  1. I love the collar on Judy's coat! So sad about all the postponed weddings...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...