Monday, 28 March 2016
I also made a top from this month's Burdastyle. This must be a first - making something within a week of recieving the magazine. It's a cute little tank with pleated neckline (#118 04/2016)
I cut the size 38 (which is my normal Burda size), but found it a little generous in the width. So if you are planning on making it do check the pattern width against your required finished measurements.
I'll cut a 36 next time, and I do plan to make more as it was so quick to sew. Including tracing the pattern and actually finding the fabric in my stash the making took less than 2 hours and I made my own bias binding.
The fabric is a batik remnant that I had left from making the wrap top a couple of years ago. I picked up a bargain 2m of it in a Charity shop for a whopping £2. There was less than 1m left and I really did have to squeeze the pattern in and piece many sections to make the bias trim. I think this would be a cute addition to any summer wardrobe and great for layering. The example in the magazine is made in silk - this would look amazing in silk, teamed with high waisted skirt or trousers.
I have also done a spot of refashioning. Late last year my mum gave me a shirt in a faded blue fabric. It was too big for me and not really my style, but the colour id in trend for this seeasons blues! I cut the sleeves to form cap sleeves and used the rest of them to create a godet at each side seam, adding a swing element to the top. I thin created a curved hem by cutting the front just at my waist and grading to the original length at the back. All edged were neatened with the overlocker and pressed and hemmed - very simple and it looks a whole lot more wearable.
Next up - Mission: Decorate the hall!