Sunday, 3 January 2016

Back to the 70s


I've done a lot of sewing over the last couple of months towards our handmade Christmas. This was the big project! A corduroy coat for John.


He had seen a cord jacket on a website that he likes, but the fit was very narrow, more like a shirt than a jacket. So I took the features that he liked and drafted a coat pattern. The initial toile was slightly too slim and there was not enough movement in the arms. I changed the sleeve design and also lengthened the jacket. I used a coat that fits well to check my measurements.


The coat has a mandarin style stand collar, chest pockets and welt pockets. I included a yoke effect with design lines from the neck edge to the sleeve. I was going to do bound buttonholes, but the fabric was too tick so I ended up doing these on my Bernina. I have a onestep buttonholer on my Janome machine, but the buttons were too big for it, so it required a 4 step method on the other machine. My Bernina handles thicker fabric much better than the Janome. 


The lining is a lovely bright pink flowery cotton. It really adds a bit of interest to the 1970's styling on the coat.
The coat includes shoulder pads and interfacing support in the upper bacjk and chest areas as well as the facings.
I really was pushed for time with this make as I tried to do it while John was out of the house, and get it finished for Christmas day. But I did make it, and John seems to like it.






LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...