Thursday 27 June 2019

Perfect Prom Dress



Well over a year ago I offered to make my daughter her prom dress. I know her ideas had changed frequently from short beaded pastel coloured dresses to edgier dark designs. She has looked at everything from mint green to black; short to long; full skirt to slim fitting; strapless to full bodice.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1104/9862/products/Macloth-10718_1024x1024.jpg?v=1518154505
By the new year, she had settled on a dress similar to this but in Emerald Green. She didn't really want emerald green, but something much darker and we bought 4m of this Bottle Green satin backed dupion from Minerva Crafts (it was the same colour as my bridesmaid dresses). She had already bought shoes and jewellery and had a clear idea of how it was all going to be styled.

Partially constructed bodice
After looking at her design choice and discussing what she wanted I chose to use the strapless bodice from Gertie's Ultimate dress book and adapted the bias band to create the eyelash bodice, but with off the shoulder bands like the inspiration photo. Narrow spaghetti straps were also added.

The skirt is based on the BHL Anna dress skirt, with the seam lines adjusted to match with the bodice seams.


Construction:
I made the bodice inner structure from canvas, which was fitted to Bethan before adding boning. I also used the alternations I made to adjust the pattern pieces for the shell and lining.

I made a bit of an error here. I had to make very little adaptations to the bodice pieces, but one thing I did do was take about 1/2cm from each side seam. I should have left this as it was as that extra space was taken up by the boning and by the time I'd sewn it all together it was a bit too tight and I ended up letting out the side seams. DO NOT OVERFIT when using many layers and boning. I used plastic boning as this dress will be going in the washing machine and used it on all the seams in the bodice.

Catch Stitching the seams
I added the bias band once the outer bodice was constructed. The bands were stitched closed for the sections that go off the shoulder and then turned before the raw edges were neatened and sewn to the bodice front and back.

It was a really bright evening!!

The skirt was then sewn and attached to the bodice before adding the zip and lining. I used an invisible zip. I know this is risky with a dress this fitted, but as this won't get loads of wear I think it's ok.

Photo bombed by dad!

I allowed the dress to hang for a few days before heming. I think you'll agree that she looks stunning in it! All set for a great evening of partying!

Friends together

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...