Sunday 25 April 2021

Review: The Assembly Line Apron Dress

 



*** I had this post ready as a draft, weeks ago. I've only just managed to get my backside in gear and get some photos taken, so it's a little late ***

I first became aware of The Assembly Line patterns when I was on holiday on the south coast a few years ago. Their patterns weren't widely available in the UK then. I bought a single sized copy of the Hoodie Dress from a little shop not far from Lyme Regis (I can't remember the name of the store), they stocked some lovely sustainably sourced fabrics and a few of the TAL patterns. I very nearly bought the Apron dress then, but I didn't and it made it's way on to my ' want to make' list.

My mum bought me the pattern for Christmas and as I had also recieved some gift vouchers for Minerva, I splashed out on some nice weight indigo denim with a touch of stretch. I bought some top-stitching thread locally from The Sewing Machine Guy. It was lockdown, so I called by phone ordered what I needed and Ian, who owns the shop, very kindly dropped the supplies through my door on his way home - now that is customer service.

Anyway, on with the pattern. After checking the measurements I decided to make a size small. My measurements put me at the top of a small, but having made both the Hoodie Dress and Hoodie Parka in the small size I was confident that it would fit fine. It's not a tight fitting garment anyway.

I cut all the pieces from the denim. I thought a double layer for the facing might be a bit too thick, but it was fine. I had a few snap fasteners in my stash and they were perfect for the fastening and wen't through the multiple layers of denim really well.

I did all the construction and topstitching on my Pfaff Select 3.2 and the multiple needle positions make getting even rows of top stitching very easy. It also managed all the layers of denim very well. It struggled on one area, but mainly beacuse of the difference in thickness. As soon as I used a small wedge of card behind the foot to make it even it was fine. Note to self - get a jean-a-ma-jig!

As with other TAL patterns I have used, the instructions are clear and well written and very easy to follow so this pattern is suitable for beginners as there is nothing tricky about it.

The dress came together quickly and and sewed it up mostly in one afternoon. In retrospect I would have chosen a stable fabric as the waistband did stretch out a little at the back while I was top stitching.

I love the shape, length and style-lines of this garment. It is easy to wear and comfortable. I think it will be multi-season too. worn with tights and boots in the the autum and winter and with a much lighter blouse or vest top in warmer weather.

I do have a few issues with this pattern though. Nothing that couldn't be solved very easily.

It's the inside finish that I don't like. It's fairly neat and tidy, but I think it could be better. Personally, I would fully line the bib section and enclose the straps between the lining/ facing and shell. This would give a much much neater finish and would not be difficult to achieve.

Despite this, I actually love this pinafore. just like many of the TAL patterns it's simple, but with contemprary design lines that will become classic pieces. I can see me wearing this for a long time to come!


1 comment:

  1. I really like this, it suits you. And as you say, it will suit different seasons with different tops underneath. I think the shop in LR was the Natural Fabric Store. My daughter gave me a Tilly ATB pinafore dress pattern, and once we are properly unpacked and the machine is out, I'm going to attempt it. I really like the haircut BTW!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...