Sunday 29 August 2021

Mid-year Musings


Out, Out for my birthday meal

Yes I know that it is way past the middle of the year, but at this point, just before school returns, I often find is a good time for reflection.

As ever, the summer term was crazy busy, COVID19 played a part in disruption and some of our leavers had to isolate at the end of term, which was sad for them. The last day of term was spent on the beach with my year group, which was really nice.

Finished casted hand

I also had the opportunity to attend an art teacher residential in Leeds, which was amazing and left me with a lot of ideas for teaching my subject over the next year.

Alginate Cast
 

As part of the course I took part in a sculpture workshop and we cast our hands! great fun, but not something I can do with a co-hort of 150 children.

casting the Jesmonite

I was truly ready for the summer holidays. The first weekend was hot and I even ventured into the Sea, in a bikini no less. Something I haven't done since I was a teenager.

I enjoyed the relaxed pace of life, walking the dog, sewing and skating. All in all just chilling out.

Out out and John is pulling a silly face.

It was my birthday at the end of July. It was quiet, my mum and Ian came up and we headed out for a lovely meal with the rest of the family. 

The boys at my birthday meal

My husband bought me a new overlocker and with the birthday money I had I new skates, which are currently being built!

My new skate boots, ready for mounting on plates

John and I spent a lovely weekend with friends in Cheshire. We also had some work to do in the bathroom. so started with that on our return. 

Superb job done.

The flooring had been bought 7 years ago - yes 7! We bought a new sink and cupboard as the old one was damaged. cladding was replaced, sanded and repainted by me. John did pretty much everything else, helped by Bethan. 

Bethan Helping

We had some leaks, but they were finally sorted and new bathroom furniture is in. There is still more to do, but it will have to wait.

New flooring down

A couple of weeks ago John and I were at our regular skatepark session, when I slipped and fell, breaking my wrist. I wasn't even doing anything impressive at the time. 

Broken!

A&E took x-rays and decided that my wrist needed reduction and an operation the next day. Once the wrist had been manipluated and a back slab put on, I was allowed home and told that that I'd be in the next day for surgery.

The clinic called in the morning and let me know that they had decided not to operate as the reduction was in a good position. I went back on the following Tuesday for another x-ray to check everything was fine. It was. Follow up appointment for Wednesday. I went and the x-ray showed that the joint had begun to collapse and now required surgery.

Pre Op

I was given a covid swab, sent home and told to isolate. The consultant expected the surgery to be on Tuesday, which would mean isolating for the whole of the bank holiday weekend, but I got a call on Thursday telling me I would be having surgery on Friday. Friday came and in I went. The hospital is close by so it was a quick journey in. I was just a day case so was home by 5 ish. I had a nerve block and light sedation rather than a general, which meant I was up and about very quickly after the op. However my arm was completely numb for some hours. If youve ever seen Hary potter, where he loses the bones in his arm? then this is how I felt.

Post Op

I didn't sleep well on Friday night due to the pain, freqntly waking and clock watching for when I could take the next lot of painkillers. I pretty much spent Saturday in a painkiller induced haze! some of which made me feel quite sick! However, I did sleep much better last night. I'm hoping to get out for a little walk today and get some fresh air.


2 comments:

  1. You poor thing, get well soon. Question : what did you use for making the hand casts? When I lived in Leicester, a girl burned her hand badly using plaster of Paris, and I wondered what you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn’t use POP to cast the body due to the heat generated by it. There must be a protective layer between the plaster snd the skin. Plaster can still be used but the health snd safety considerations are strict. On the course we used Alginate to make the mould. This is similar to the material used by dentists to mould the teeth. It’s also used in SFX settings. It feels quite wet. You can then cast with plaster. The plaster can react with the moisture in the alginate and doesn’t always set properly which is why jesmonite is used instead. It’s much more stable. But also more expensive.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...