Friday 13 August 2021

Kalle 2 ways

Wow - I have had this post ready to go and just not got around to sticking in the photographs. it was the beginning of june when I last posted, but I've made a few things since then, including 3 Kalle garments, two pairs of shorts and a slip dress. 

I am soooooo late to the party that is the Kalle shirt dress by Closet Core patterns. I have had this on my 'to sew' list for years!!!!!

In the space of a couple of weeks I have made 2 versions and almost finished a third. In all versions the only alteration I made was to lengthen the pattern by 2 inches. I also cut a straight size 6. The ease of the pattern accomodating any difference in my measurements to the size table.

Version 1 - Shirt Dress

I made this one out of a waxed print that my friend Alli bought me for my birthday a couple of years ago. I didn't worry about pattern matching as it's quite a random print. I made a full length version with the regular button placket. I followed the instructions on the website rather than using the written instructions and it took me a little while because I was following them super carefully.

The only part I had issues with was the collar. I found the 1.5cm seam allowance too much. I also didn't really like the construction technique here - personal preference and in future I'll use the Grainline Archer technique as I find it gives me better results.

I really like the finished dress. Even with the added length I find it a bit short and will probably wear with leggings or shorts underneath just for comfort. This will be a great transitional piece as the design is perfect for layering in cooler weather. It's also loose enough to wear when I'm skating - with shorts, so I don't flash my underwear when I bail!

Version 2 - The tunic

I made this one from some Art Gallery fabric, which was sent from Minerva in an exchange for a review - you can read that here. I followed the same construction methods, with the exception of the collar - so much easier. Again I used the regular button placket. I'm a bit non plussed that the instructions have you remove some of the front in order to install the placket - it seems rather wastefull.

This is a beautiful fabric for a shirt. In my opinion I think that the tunic length is a little long. This version didn't need the extra 2 inches in length. It's versatile though and I've worn it to work as well as casually.

I have 90% made version 3, but it still needs buttons. this is the cropped version. It will be a while until it gets completed as I've broken my arm.

Conclusion

This is such a versatile pattern. I am sure it is going to become a staple of my pattern collection and I'm now wondering why it took me so long to get around to sewing it up.

I would like to know which version you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...