Sunday 16 May 2021

Activewear

I made activewear!!!! This has been something I have wanted to do for a while, but I’ve been reluctant to have a go as finding the right fabric worried me. So when I had the opportunity to review this fabric. I jumped at the chance. This is the fabric I used for this.
I decided to make some leggings and a crop top. 


I did a lot of research into which pattern to use for the leggings and opted for a free pattern. I looked at quite a few, but settled on the 5 out of 4 Ninja pants pattern as they came with a selection of different options.


I opted for the full length leggings with a high waist and fabric waistband. The information on Minerva told me that the fabric had 35% stretch, which was less than the requirement for the pattern. My measurements put me at the top end of a size S, so I went up a size and cut a medium, grading to a S at the waist. I should have made the small as these are a bit too big and the fabric does have better stretch than I thought. However, I was concerned that the fabric might become stretched too thin and cause embarrassment. My daughter assures me that although the pattern on the fabric became a little stretched during a really deep squat (no I’m not showing you my butt), that it was much better than the ones that she had.


For the top I decided to give the free Noelle Bralette top by Madalynne a go. I had made this before and chose a size that was too big. This time I opted for the smallest size and replaced the bottom band with wide plush elastic, which I stretched to fit. Ensuring I cut the right length. 

 

I have a 30 inch underbust and the elastic length was 231/3 inches. The top is lined with a cotton jersey offcut that I had, which had a comparable amount of stretch and I also included removable bra cups.



The straps are of a fixed length. I pinned clear elastic to the front pieces where straps would normally be joined and then used purple fold over elastic to bind the edges and the elastic. Once this was done I tried the top on and pinned the straps at the right length for me (Helped by my daughter).


In retrospect I should have used black FOE as it would fit the fabric design much better. This morning I wore my new set for a pilates session. The top was super comfy and didn’t move or ride up, which is a first! The leggings were OK, the gusset allows for a good range of movement and the waist was ok.

If I had made these in the correct size these would have also been perfect. They actually didn’t move much, just a little. You will have to excuse my sweaty appearance as these were taken post workout!

2 comments:

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...