Friday 31 July 2020

Walking, Sewing, Painting


I often have a lot of things on the go, it's quite normal and it's how I work. The last couple of weeks have been strange as I haven't really finished much, but there is a lot in the pipeline. The end of term came and went in a strange socially distanced way and the school holidays began. I find it quite a stange time anyway and often spend the first week or so redrafting my schemes of work ready for September. However I know there will be some updates H&S advice coming out in August and I don't want to have to do the planning twice, so I'm leaving it until I know what the recommendations are for teaching Art & Design in our new normal. I'll probably spend a big chunk of the last week of the holiday in school sorting out my classroom and getting prepared.

I have started a few projects and have been busy printing and taping PDF patterns ready to cut and sew. I have prepped fabric for my next Minerva makes and the first item is almost complete - just a fastening to go.

On my sewing table right now...
Almost finished are Burdastyle Culottes 03/2015 #126. They have quite a nice overlapped pleat at the front more details to come soon once I've finished the fastening.


Also almost finished and just needing a button and buttonhole are these basic shorts. I downloaded this pattern from a spanish website a few months ago, but it seems to have disappeared from the the internet. The drafting is great but it only has a spec sheet rather than full instructions, but that's ok with me - it's a basic design - fits well too.


I also have this stunning cotton Sateen from Minerva to make up. It's washed and ready to go and I think I have my patterns identified - but I keep changing my mind!!!


Recent makes have been lingerie related and I'm on a bit of a roll. I have now made 3 Watson bras and I'm starting to plan pattern hacks!!! I made this fun bra and knickers from this Rico jersey, which was left over from a t shirt I made a while back. I made the knickers in a size small and used bands rather than elastic -just to try it out - I quite like it.


I also made another pair of the knickers to match the simplicity 8436 bra I made a few weeks ago. I increased the rise by a couple of cm as they sit a little too low without. This version uses some beige lingerie lace with some stretch. I cut both the bands and elastic at 85% of the openings and it seems to be ok.


I also have some navy stretch lace and nude stretch mesh to make a Noelle Bralette and Panties set, but I need to get some elastics and findings.

Apart from sewing I have been painting. Creating a painting is usually quite a long process and i need to sit and live with them before I decided if they are finished. Often I'll work on serveral pieces at once, working on one, while another one dries. I've currently got 4 on the go and they are all inspired by walks along or close to the coast where I live. I try to get out for at least a 4 mile walk each day and prefer something a bit longer. I have found that this activity has been incredibly important to help keep good mental health during the lockdown.


Here are some of the in progress shots of my paintings - Non are quite finished yet.





I've even managed to repaint the garden furniture - it was looking rather tired and now its bright blue!


On Sunday we went to visit family. It was great to see people in the flesh instead of over a screen. We did a long day and got home very late but at least we were able to sleep in our own bed!

Wednesday was my birthday and John, Bethan and I (and the dog) drove up to Seahouses and then walked over the fields, along the Northumberland Coastal Path to Bamburgh. It was a pleasant walk, we had lunch at a local pub before walking back to Seahouses along the beach.




It's almost an hour's drive and it was nearly 4 by the time we arrived home. I had been in just a few minutes when my lovely friend Allison dropped by with my birthday gift of a large piece of waxed cotton. Now I just need to decide what to make with it.


I've had a new fitbit and the Vivienne Westwood designed war child T shirt from the family. I've also had a bit of money towards a new sewing machine. I'm looking to upgrade and thinking about a couple of different machines at the moment. The trouble is that my local store are not doing demonstrations due to Covid and I really want to try before I buy - so I might have to wait a while. I primarily use my machine for garment sewing including outerwear and lingerie, so it needs to be able to handle all kings of fabrics. I do a bit of quilting every now and again.


I'm considering the Bernette 38. It has all the functions I need in a machine, but I need something that can handle thick fabrics - for things like jeans making. I don't know what it's capability is for this type of sewing.


The other machine(s) I'm considering are the Juki HZL G210/220 They have the industrial box feed system and are marketed as begin able to handle lots of fabric - they also have lots of decorative stitches - I'm not sure I'd use them all, but am drawn to the power of these machines.

If you have either the Bernette 38 or the Juki HZL G210/220, do let me know what you think of them. It might help me make a decision.

There we go - You're all caught up with what I've been up to. so how are your days panning out?

3 comments:

  1. Susan from Manitoba1 August 2020 at 23:05

    I have the Juki HZL220, and really enjoy using it. It handles differing fabric thicknesses with ease, feeds and stitches beautifully, and has all the features I wanted. Compared to my previous machine, this is like driving a Rolls Royce instead of a Ford. Sewing is a pleasure with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the underwear you've been making. I've just purchased a sewing machine to alter some dresses, since losing weight. Hope the back to school goes well and you find out H&S regs in time for your planning Thanks for linking with #pocolo and hope to see you back later this week

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really liking your painting - multi-talented! Thanks for joining us at #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...