Friday 11 November 2011

In a Jam

I've been making Damson Jam. I'm sharing the method I use to make my jam, I've used this method for about 4 years now and it usually works very well.
Recipe from Delia Smith.
1.3 kg fruit to 1kg of preserving sugar.


Pick out any stalks - there weren't many as weed done most of that when we froze the fruit back in the summer.


Simmer the fruit in 15fl oz of water till soft.

At this point I de-stone the jam. My hubby likes the stones left in, but I don't. So we compromise and take out most, leaving a few in and a few whole fruit. this can take quite some time!

While I'm doing this the oven goes on at 180. and the sugar goes in a heat proof bowl to warm.

When done - fruit and sugar in the pan, stir lightly and leave on a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.

  
Then boil rapidly for 10 minutes. turn off the heat and check for set.  put a little on a cold plate and allow to cool, if it wrinkles when pushed with your finger it's done. If not, boil for another 5 mins and test again. do this until the wrinkle check works (usually takes 15 mins boiling for me.)

Let settle for a few minutes and then pour into warmed, sterilised jars - put on lid and allow to cool completely.
store in fridge once opened - makes a great gift.

18 comments:

  1. I love the picture of the fruit simmering what gorgeous Christmassy colours mmm I can smell it from here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't beat a bit of homemade jam, unfortunately I've never been able to make the stuff but after seeing this I might have to give it another go! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love damson jam... it has such a great tart quality. Love the jewel like quality of the damsons... great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All this cooking and baking! the jam looks delicious can almost smell the aroma's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum, yum - I love Damson jam. It's the best flavoured jam there is - even better when it is homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never made jam but I may be tempted by this recipe looks delicious, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had some damson jelly on my porridge this morning - I'm with you on not liking the stones! I cook it with loads of grated root ginger and then strain it all out but add chopped stem ginger to the jelly just before bottling it up. It's an amazing marriage of flavours - spicy and tangy. Yours looks fantastic - and I bet it tastes amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love damson jam, but the stones can be a pain. Haven't made any jam this year, where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can never decide if jam making would be good for me... I don't eat much of it, my hubby would eat it, then take the whotsit ;) He has a thing about jam jars with material tops. However, after reading your post it might be fun to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doh! All mine went into gin..talking of which where is that glass........

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love homemade jams, I don't make it myself as I have a couple of friends who make it far better than I ever could. The bubbling colours are lovely. Well done.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tutorial! When I was down visiting my brother he (yes he!) whipped up a batch of fig jam Mich :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to make jam with my gran so this has brought back lots of memories, thanks! I've never had the courage to make it myself tho! Might give it a go now :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this looks wonderful - haven't made jam in years but I quite fancy making marmalade in january when the seville oranges appear.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing like home made jam. Nice to see the different stages in picture form. I use Delia's recipe as well. Never tried marmalade though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy homemade jam - just need some scones to with it. Thanks for sharing the recipe. It's always good to use tried and tested recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that's awesome, so few people do this sort of stuff anymore. Thank you for the recipe and directions. I might try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely pics and fab tutorial. I make plum jam each year with the plums from our tree - there are too many of them to just eat. I also made some fab chutney with the green tomatoes at the end of the season. Love homemade products!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your views, so come and share.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...